Monday, August 8, 2011

Taking inspiration from Gran Fury

Gran Fury artists

As I have been brainstorming how I can create my design solution that will empower passive pro-choicers to take action against the Anti-Choice agenda, I met with my thesis professor last week and he gave me some ideas. One thing he said was that I should look to other important movements to see what they did and tactics they may have used.

My friend, Alenka (she's a designer and she's awesome!), came to Greenpoint about 2 weeks ago and we had lunch. She'd made a suggestion to me to look into Gran Fury, so I did.

Gran Fury was a collection of work by artists who were also AIDS activists. This activism was expressed through agitprop art (i.e. agitational propoganda art.) The name was derived from the Plymouth automobile favored by NYC police. Gran Fury was born from ACT UP/NY (AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power, New York.) This agitprop art was expressed via posters, stickers, printed ads, fliers, bus signs and billboards. Additionally, photographs and slides were reproduced and used.

Here are some examples of their work:

Kissing Doesn't Kill

Sexism Rears Its Unprotected Head
Pope Piece






I got my information and images from the NYPL. For my first blog entry which describes the purpose of my blog, please click here.                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment